Sunday, March 23, 2014

Mixed Media - Live Love Laugh

Hi Everyone,

I made this pretty and simple piece of mixed media on canvas on Saturday. Thought it was simple enough to tempt anyone to start playing with mediums. So if you are keen scroll down and read on...


Let's start with the texture base I created. With the word texture, guess some of you would probably have guess that I have used texture paste on the canvas...well you are right. Let's go step by step :)

First off, I apply texture paste over 2 stencils on this canvas; Hexagon from Studio Calico and Mini Bricks from Crafters Workshop then I left it to dry naturally for about an hour. 
**Some might wonder if they can use a heat tool to speed up the drying process. I would advise against this idea unless you want the paste to crack or bubble up.


When it's dry, it's time for some fun with colors. For beginners, you might be very reserved or even skeptical to start your first color. For my point of view, there is really no hard and fast rule on colors, strokes or types of mediums. Just be adventurous and let the fun begin! This is the only time when you can pronounce any mistakes as your personal creation. Usually that's how scrappers come across interesting techniques. It's all through trial and errors.

The left photo are what I have used to create the background. Final touch was I misted the whole canvas with Heidi Swapp Color Shine in Gold to give it an overall shimmer.
**Apologise that this photo of the canvas was taken when it was not fully completed. 
    

While waiting for paints and stains to dry, I worked on my wood veneer embellishments from Kaisercraft.

i) Painted the fountain in Sea Breeze and the 3 words - Live, Love Laugh in Candy.
ii) Once the paint has dry up, I added another layer of thin crackle paint in Picket Fence on the fountain and 2 words, Live and Laugh.
iii) For the word Love, I misted it with Heidi Swapp color shine as seen in the picture to give it some glitter and I also wanted this work to stand out from the others.

**I'm uploading bigger pictures for these section as I wanted to show you the crackle effect and shimmer.
  
 

And these are the 4 supplies I have used on the wood veneers.

Once everything has dried up, just go ahead and put them altogether on the canvas.
The flower border and resin birds are from Prima Marketing. Metal keys are from Tim Holtz.
Pink lace and flower on the top right corner are my stash.

So the end result...! Hope I have inspired you to pick up some mediums today :)



No comments: